Wednesday 21 October 2009

Sweet charity


Last week I dropped off a fat brown envelope at a discreet industrial unit in west London. On the way in I passed a woman who gave me a conspiratorial smile. We had a common cause. We were delivering our little woolly hats.

Since 2003 Innocent, the company that creates fruit and vegetable products, has encouraged those in the UK who knit and crochet to make the small hats that are put on to their smoothie bottles throughout November. Every bottle with a hat that is sold generates a donation for Age Concern/Help the Aged. In 2008, £253,384 was raised as a result of the 506,738 hats that were sent in. Some of those little hats are works of art (subscribers to the Innocent online newsletter get to vote on the “Hat of the Week”) and showcase the creativity and skill of contributors to this cause. And it is addictive. Some have made hundreds and even thousands. Last year I made 40 but this year, in spite of my best intentions, I only managed 27.

I delivered them in person as the possibility of a postal strike meant that they might not have reached Innocent before the 2009 deadline and knew that I was in the right place when I saw the delivery vans covered in plastic turf and purple daisies. I walked out in a bit of a daze as the lovely people at the reception desk, having startled me by offering me a smoothie, filled a little paper bag with five of them and gave them to me. No wonder that woman had been smiling. I was smiling to myself on the way home. And trying to lick strawberry smoothie off the corners of my mouth. If only there were more companies like Innocent, with their unorthodox but effective approach to fundraising.

Crafters are a generous lot. They use up their stashes of yarn, fabric and beads to make the lives of others a little easier and give up hours of their time to do it. For some it is a chance to show off their skills but I cannot be too cynical about this. They don’t have to do it but they still do. Search the internet for knitting and crochet patterns and the word “charity” comes up fairly quickly. Ravelry, the yarn crafts community website, hosts a number of groups that create items for donation. One member is collecting easily laundered scarves to pass on as Christmas presents to homeless women. Others are asking for contributions of yarn to make blankets for animal shelters or offering their free patterns as ways of raising money. Feed the Children has withdrawn their free knitting pattern as they have been sent so many sweaters that they can’t cope with any more for the moment.

Many of us are moved by the loss of a loved one to a preventable illness or risk to raise money for the charity that will stop it happening to anyone else. Sometimes we just want to be kind. Some of the most popular “makes” are chemo caps, made for those who have lost their hair as a result of chemotherapy. Another, sadder cause is the provision of tiny clothes in which to bury the stillborn. There was a time when these babies were not spoken of and an effort made to forget that they had ever existed. Today we know that it is better to acknowledge these events and the crafters who make these clothes help the bereaved in the most practical way.


Dog blankets, prayer shawls, scarves for women in refuges. There is a knitting need out there to suit everyone. At some point I hope to make some teddy bears for children in eastern Europe, Africa and Asia as well as fundraisers for SSAFA and Combat Stress. And little woolly hats of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment